Fat grafting breast augmentation…what it is and who it’s good for.
Body fat is taken using liposuction from areas of the patient’s choosing such as abdomen, thighs, flanks (love handles) and re-injected into the breasts. The incisions are tiny and are usually invisible after the healing is complete.
The fat grafting breast augmentation procedure is geared towards women who feel that their breasts are disproportionately small compared to their body frame. This is purely cosmetic surgery and therefore is not covered by the RAMQ. The operation can be achieved either using breast implants or using your own fat tissues (fat grafting).
Good candidates for fat grafting augmentation are:
- Looking for a natural augmentation
- Have areas of excess fat on their body
- No significant medical problems
- Non smokers
- Want to increase the size of their breasts by ~ 1 cup
- Want to avoid scars on their breast
- Want to avoid an implant in their body
Poor candidates for fat grafting augmentation are:
- Very thin patients
- Significant medical problems
- Want to significantly increase their breast size (> than 1 cup size)
See also Breast augmentation using Implants
Recovery from a fat grafting consists of two days of pain requiring medication, two weeks for the skin to heal, two months for the fat to settle. Time off work is approximately 2 weeks.
More on Breast Augmentation:
- See before and after photos of breast augmentation using fat grafting
- Breast Augmentation using Implants
- Combining a Breast Lift and Augmentation
- Implant Types
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Information for patients