You?ve probably heard the term rhinoplasty. In layman?s terms, a rhinoplasty is a ?nose job.? It is a plastic surgery procedure that is performed to alter the shape of the nose by adjusting the bone or cartilage. Many people undergo the procedure to mend their noses following an injury, to repair problems with breathing or congenital disabilities, or to simply feel happier with the appearance of their nose.
If you lack confidence or have doubts about your nose?s appearance, there?s a high possibility that you?ve already taken the time to find out more about nose surgery. You?ve probably also weighed your options and are feeling overwhelmed by the tons of information you?ve come across online that talk about the surgery. As plastic surgeons in Montreal, we work with patients who have concerns about the appearance of their noses. There are several plastic surgeons in the area and many will fail to disclose certain very important facts. Here are 11 things most surgeons will not tell you about rhinoplasty.
1. Rhinoplasty Is a Real Surgical Procedure
Most cosmetic surgeons offering rhinoplasty surgery in Montreal will mention that rhinoplasty is a cosmetic procedure and fail to tell you that it is not only limited to aesthetics. While it?s a common notion that nose surgery is a way of improving the facial form, rhinoplasty is also a good reconstructive solution. Depending on the need, the plastic surgeon may use osteotomy in the procedure, which involves cutting into the bone – proof that rhinoplasty is a serious surgical procedure. Besides cosmetic reasons, the surgical procedure can be performed for the following reasons:
- In cases where the nose is affected by a condition like skin cancer. The rhinoplasty serves as a follow-up procedure to ensure the nose heals correctly and maintains its functionality
- In cases where an injury may have caused difficulty in breathing and complications like poor sinus drainage, rhinoplasty serves as an effective treatment.
2. Do Not Try to Get a Flawless Nose
Although the nose is centrally located on the face, rhinoplasty surgery isn?t all about getting the perfect nose. The procedure is meant to slightly change the size or shape of the nose to complement other facial features. For instance, the chin is also a prominent feature of your face. A plastic surgeon can perform a chin implant surgery to improve the size of or reshape your chin. This operation is often performed alongside rhinoplasty to ensure the chin and nose are compatible.
3. Every Person Has a Unique Nose
Every person?s nose is unique and that plays a vital role in the general harmony and balance of each individual?s face. This means that the way you see your nose whenever you look in the mirror is largely influenced by the surrounding facial features. Consequently, two noses that may be structurally identical will look different on two individuals.
Whenever patients are consulting our Montreal rhinoplasty surgeons, we encourage them to come with photos of noses they would prefer for inspiration instead of insisting on simple replication. Our rhinoplasty specialist uses these images to serve as a visual guide to understand the patient?s ultimate goals. Our specialist can then incorporate certain features in a method that produces the best results for the patient.
4. The Nose Never Actually Stops Growing
Bone growth usually stops at around 15 for girls and 17 for boys, and the muscle and fat cells stop dividing at around that age. However, the nose appears to grow continuously. In reality, it only changes its shape and gives the impression that it is growing. As you grow older, soft tissue like cartilage, muscles and fat tend to relax and the nose droops with time. This is a natural process of aging and it can also be rectified through rhinoplasty surgery.
5. There Are Two Common Rhinoplasty Procedures
Most plastic surgeons often prefer one method over another, but the natural harmony of a person?s nose and the results the individual is hoping for ultimately determine the type of rhinoplasty procedure that will be performed and work best.
During the consultation, our Montreal rhinoplasty surgeon will begin by discussing your main concerns and goals. The specialist will then evaluate your nose to get a better understanding of the bone-to-cartilage ratio and make a more detailed examination of your nose. The two common approaches used for nose surgery are
- Closed rhinoplasty. This procedure is performed by making an incision inside the nose that cannot be seen from the outside. The method is less invasive and helps minimize postoperative swelling. The closed approach is not ideal for all patients and our surgeons will usually discuss the best option with you.
- Open rhinoplasty. This procedure is done by making a tiny opening across the tissue between the nostrils and slightly lifting the skin to do the required modifications. Although this method may leave a small scar, it gives the surgeon more access and greater precision.
6. Rhinoplasty Cannot Be Performed on Young Children and Some Adolescents
A rhinoplasty procedure should be performed only after the structures that form the nose are fully developed. That simply means the procedure cannot be performed on young children and some adolescents. As we?ve already mentioned, the nose reaches full maturity at around 15 for girls and 17 for boys.
7. Rhinoplasty Offers Psychological Benefits Too
Besides improving the appearance of the nose and the general composition of the face, rhinoplasty offers psychological benefits. After the surgery, most patients report having more self-confidence and a general improvement in their interpersonal and even professional relationships. Nonetheless, you must ensure you?re undergoing the surgery for the right reasons rather than to please others or get their approval.
8. There?s a Likelihood That You May Need to Undergo Revision Surgery
In many cases, there are high chances a rhinoplasty will need to be done a second time. This is known as revision surgery and it is fairly common for the following reasons:
- The ability of the nose to heal itself is quite unpredictable
- A multitude of factors often affect the healing process
- The results of the first procedure may not be what the patient wants
- Factors like a thick skin, the patient?s general health, and variations in the bone structures
9. Rhinoplasty Doesn?t Always Involve an Implant
Unless the patient has an existing condition, the plastic surgeon will never use implants to enhance the shape of their nose. Instead, the surgeon will use other parts of their body. In case of serious reconstructive rhinoplasty procedures, implants may be necessary. However, in most cases, the surgeon will use skin and cartilage from other parts of the body or even the nose itself for grafting.
10. Final Results Can Take up to a Year
If you get treated by the best rhinoplasty surgeon in Montreal, you will see some immediate changes after surgery. However, many surgeons will not tell you that it can take up to several months or even a year for all the swelling and bruising to diminish, for the skin to contract and for the final look you desire to appear. You shouldn?t be disheartened when you don?t see the results you envisaged immediately after the surgery since your nose will gradually fit into its new shape over time.
11. You Won?t Go to Work for a Few Weeks After Surgery
The plastic surgeon may place internal and external splints to offer support to the nose as it begins to heal for about five to seven days after surgery. You may also need to sleep with your head elevated after surgery. Ice compresses will help to minimize the swelling and the doctor may also prescribe pain medication. For the first few weeks after surgery, stuffiness and swelling of the nose may be common. Most patients return to work or school after one to two weeks, while full athletic activities can be resumed in three weeks and contact sports in six weeks.
When considering rhinoplasty surgery in Montreal, it is important to verify your surgeon?s credentials, ask questions about what to expect and ensure you are comfortable with the doctor?s ability to respond to your concerns. We have the best specialists in Montreal so our patients know they are always in capable hands and that they will get the support they need each step of the way, from planning to recovery. If you want to alter the way your nose looks or functions, contact us now to book a consultation with the best rhinoplasty surgeon in Montreal and learn more about how you can benefit from the procedure.