(General Anaesthetic or Local with sedation)
These pre-surgical instructions are provided as an important service for you. Please follow the instructions carefully to ensure optimum results. If there are instructions that are not clear, please do not hesitate to contact our office as soon as possible. If some instructions are not followed, your surgery could be delayed if deemed necessary by your surgeon.
One month before your surgery
- Stop using contraceptive pills or hormone therapy.
Three weeks before your surgery
- Complete your preoperative tests. Be sure to complete all prescribed pre-operative tests (ECG blood tests, etc.). If all medical results and clearances of your tests are not received on time, your surgery may be delayed.
- Prepare your surgery date: Plan ahead to ensure a stress-free experience. Arrange your work leave and special help to help you with the home for your recovery time. Prepare your return home by organizing meals, shopping, babysitting, etc. Make sure you have someone scheduled to accompany you home after your surgery. Someone should also be on call to help you during the first 24 hours after your surgery.
Two weeks before your surgery
- Stop the consumption of anti-inflammatories.
- A pre-operative visit (if necessary), approximately two weeks before your surgery, will be scheduled to review your goals and provide you with additional information regarding your surgery.
Seven days before your surgery
- Stop taking any supplements or medications from the following list. These products can increase the risk of bleeding and other complications. Stop consuming any non-prescribed supplements including Omega 3-6, nutricap, ouch, echinacea, glucosamine, fat burners, St. John’s wort etc. Aspirin, medicines containing aspirin or any anticoagulants such as arixtra pf, clopidogrel, plavix, coumadin, dalteparin, edoxaban, eliquis, apixaban, enoxaparin, fragmin pfsyringe, lepirudin, padaxa, dabigatran etexilate, xarelto, rivaroxaban,
- Confirm your surgical support plan: This includes your transportation and post-surgical care, including an adult on call for support 24 hours after your surgery.
- Purchase any prescription (if applicable) provided by Dr. Gdalevitch and revise your pre-surgical instructions.
The day before your surgery
Prepare a bag. It should include:
- All necessary papers
- Your identification (RAMQ card)
- Any Prescription Drugs
- Glasses if necessary
- Confirm the person who will assist you for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- Take a shower. Use a non-perfumed soap. Wash your hair. Do not put cream or lotions. Do not put deodorants, hair products, perfumes or makeup.
- Remove any nail varnish (even if transparent) from your hands and feet, including: shellac, resin, gel or acrylic. All this reduces the risk of post-surgical infections and nails are monitored for blood circulation.
- Do not drink or eat anything after midnight the night before your surgery. Anything you eat can cause cancellation of your surgery and increase the risks associated with surgery and anaesthesia. This includes sweets, mints, chewing gum, tea or coffee. You can take a very small amount of water after brushing your teeth or taking a medication.
- Enjoy a good night’s sleep and avoid stress.
Your surgery day
- Do not drink or eat the day of your surgery (since midnight)
- Do not train before surgery
- Please bring your medications which have been prescribed to you in a bag as above.
- Do not wear any make-up, jewellery, contact lenses, hairpin or piercings: during surgery, an electric cautery is used, any piercing or jewellery can cause burns.
- Wear light and comfortable clothing. Wear a top that opens forward. Do not wear a sweater, turtleneck or tight clothing. You can wear a skirt, but pants and a jogging jacket are ideal. Flat shoes should be worn (no heels) that are easy to put on and remove. A lip balm is recommended.
Plan to be on time at suite 115-A Rockland Surgery Center (please note that it is in the same building but not in Dr. Gdalevitch’s office)
If you need to call the center the morning of your surgery please call 514 667-3383 extension 250.
Office: (514) 967-4744 (Anissa Jabrallah)
Be sure to call our office at any time if you have any questions or concerns.